Meeting started at 4:39 PM.
In attendance: Ron Suresha (Chair), Dr. Rocco Russo, Stacy Small-Scott, Tim Scott, Michael Jay, Colin Cogle (acting Records Chair)
- Colin proposed a motion to accept the minutes from the previous meeting (April 2); Stacy seconded. There were no corrections, and the minutes were approved unanimously via consensus.
- Modified consensus training has been postponed.
- Copies of the draft by-laws were passed around. A vote for ratification was postponed to the next meeting due to lack of quorum.
- Ron motioned to change the name of the group to the “Green Party of New Milford,” in response to people asking what “Greens” were. Michael seconded, and the motion passed via consensus.
- The state Green Party of Connecticut held elections on April 30.
- Thank you to members Ron Suresha and Rocco Russo for donating cash in the amount of $50.
- Thank you to member Justine McCabe for donating a banner worth $31. We also extend our thanks to New Milford Printing.
- We are using Ron’s post box for postal mail: 137 Danbury Road #123, New Milford, CT 06776
- Our Web site is live at https://newmilfordgreens.wordpress.com.
- As of May 1, member Joe DeGregorio is looking into local banks and credit unions for the group to use.
- We are still active on social media.
- Email – email@example.com.
- Do we need a phone number? If so, Google Voice may work.
- We considered scheduling apps/services, but decided against it for now.
- Colin will investigate email mailing list services, such as Riseup and MailChimp.
- Ron Suresha has been sworn in on the New Milford Historical Properties Commission, and may assume chairperson duties of it.
- Joe DeGregorio will not be running for Town Council this year.
- It was mentioned that, if other members are interested in seeking commission appointments or elections, that Ron knows the process.
- Past Actions & Ideas For Future Action
- We were a co-sponsor of the Climate March held on the New Milford Green this past April 29, 2017.
- A representative of the group may attend the Green Party of Connecticut monthly meeting.
- The Young’s Field Riverfront Inaugural Celebration will be held on June 17, 2017. We would like to have a presence there.
- Village Fair Days will be held June 28-29, 2017. We have three options:
- An un-tented, unpowered space would cost $350 for non-profits who are not members of the Greater New Milford Chamber of Commerce. In addition, we would need a certificate of liability insurance, and we would need to staff it for the duration of the event (ten hours each day).
- We can partner with other local civic and political groups to rent a space, with the requirements above.
- We can roam around the green, canvassing and registering voters. There was consensus for this idea.
- The farmers’ market is resuming this month. We may want to attend to canvas and register voters.
- Greenway cleanup in the spring?
- Letters to the editor about such topics as sanctuary city status, fracking/fracking waste bans, etc.
- Future organizational meetings will be held at 4:30 PM, preceded by a potluck dinner, on the following dates: June 4, 2017; July 9, 2017; August 6, 2017; September 10, 2017; October 1, 2017; November 5, 2017; December 3, 2017; and January 7, 2018.
Ron motioned to adjourn the meeting, Stacy seconded, and the meeting was adjourned at 6:02 PM.
Minutes submitted by Colin Cogle, acting records chair.
These minutes are also available as a PDF document.