New Milford Greens
Minutes – Organizational Meeting #2
Sunday, January 29, 2017, 4:00 PM
25 Summit Street, New Milford, CT 06776
- Ron Suresha (Chair)
- Colin Cogle
- Stacy Small-Scott
- Tim Scott
- Marianne Soldner
- Joe DeGregorio
- John Battista
- Justine McCabe
- Dr. Rocco Russo
- Michael Jay
- Green Party values
- Recap of previous meeting (12/10/2016); minutes printed and available for review
- New logo (designed by Alissa DeGregorio); email address: email@example.com; and Facebook group: New Milford Greens.
Group business and operations:
- Motion to enact modified consensus: Michael motioned to replace Robert’s Rules of Order with modified consensus. Seconded by Joe. Passed via unanimous voice vote.
- Town or regional committee? Consensus in favor of staying a town committee.
- Mission statement, platform, and by-laws submitted to the town.
- Financial disclosure to the state.
- Acting chairperson: Ron volunteered, Joe seconded. Consensus in favor.
- Joe volunteered to be treasurer. No vote taken at this meeting.
- Colin volunteered to be treasurer, with Joe as secretary. No vote taken at this meeting.
- 30 postcards and stamps sent out for this meeting.
- Need to pay for a postal box, website, email service; need a bank account.
- Ideas for income sources?
- Sell New Milford Greens and Green Party merchandise (e.g., shirts, caps)
- Potluck dinner, maybe open to the public?
- Members donated $162 in cash.
- Town commission positions and openings were discussed. Many are appointments or alternate appointments, and some are defunct or meet infrequently.
Current issues facing our town:
- Discussion about the solar project and its clear-cutting of 60 acres of old-growth forest.
- Petition the town to declare itself a sanctuary city. Work with the clergy to gather signatures, especially at Mayor Gronbach’s church.
Priorities for this year:
- Get Greens onto town committees and commissions (immediate and ongoing).
- Support Joe DeGregorio in his run for town council this year.
- Write letters to The Spectrum and The News-Times.
- Voter registration drives (e.g., “Greens on the Green”, booth at Town Fair Days).
- Something for Earth Day: spring cleanup, voter registration?
- Sponsor bike racks downtown and on the greenway.
- Sponsor a bill banning fracking and/or fracking waste.
- Influence green and conservation-friendly construction codes.
- Next meeting (+potluck!) planned for Sunday, March 5, 4 – 6pm, 25 Summit Street.
- We have reserved the senior center basement, pending insurance, for: April 2, May 7, June 4, July 2; times TBD
Minutes submitted by Colin Cogle, New Milford Greens
Minutes ratified on Sunday, April 2, 2017